Tuesday, September 22, 2009

NYC - My Forgotten Muse

Last week I returned to Manhattan after nearly a decade of absence. I flew into La Guardia airport, which strangely seemed quite empty. As I exited the airport, I was somewhat discouraged by the weather. Although it was mid-day, the skies were dark with rain clouds and the temperature was in the low sixties. I hoped this weather wouldn’t last. I had packed shorts and t-shirts in anticipation of heat and humidity. Luckily, my friend, Alessandro had called to warn me of the dip in temperature, so I did have one jacket on hand. As I waited outside for the shuttle bus, I unpacked my jacket to bundle up a bit more.

There was a giddiness in me as I wondered about my upcoming week. Would New York treat me well or would I be anxious to flee from the concrete jungle? I harkened back to the summer I had interned for l’Oreal’s skincare division. I had lived on NYU’s campus and then commuted to 5th Avenue in midtown. That year, summer had stretched deep into September, but it seemed fall had come early this year.

My friend Alessandro is originally from Milan, Italy, but his job relocated him to New York about a year ago. It was my first time visiting him since his move. Because he was still at work when I arrived, I had the doorman let me in. I rested a bit while waiting for him to come home. This also afforded me the opportunity to catch up with his wife who filled me in on their lives in New York. Later that night, after Alessandro had rested, we grabbed a cab to a sushi joint in the Village. After dinner, we strolled into the meatpacking district. Alessandro had mentioned this area to me, but it wasn’t at all developed when I was last in New York. I was completely unfamiliar with it. As we crossed into the meatpacking zone, I was taken aback by the energy and vitality. Even though it was chilly, the streets were full of people.

In the middle of the block, a small crowd had gathered. As we approached, we saw two practically naked women. They were having their bodies decorated with body paints. They were both topless with nearly invisible bikini bottoms. Needless to say, this drew a crowd. As we walked down this street, the Gansevoort Hotel was on my left and Pastis Restaurant was on my right. In fact, there were several high end fashion boutiques, clubs and restaurants on this block.

Many parts of New York have a European feel to them simply because of the architecture. This street was no exception. It was actually a cobblestone street with a mélange of modern and classical architecture. Now I knew why Alessandro had mentioned this area to me. It was bustling and alive. As we walked around the corner, the High Line came into view. The High Line is an old metro line that used to run above ground. Although it is not yet finished, a huge portion of this old track has been converted into a park! Yes, you read that right. Sections of what used to be train tracks and platforms have been landscaped and outfitted with tables and benches. It is the greening of Manhattan, and with all of the concrete there, a little greening isn’t a bad thing.

As we walked through the meatpacking district, a part of me that is normally dormant rose to the surface. My memories of how fantastic New York is began to return. I realized it is a city that offers practically whatever it is you are looking for. Arts and entertainment, good restaurants, clubs, bars, parks and whatever else might tickle your fancy. Part of me felt revitalized, and a desire to stay awake twenty-four hours crept into my mind. Luckily I exercised good judgment and didn’t run myself into the ground as I had done on my last trip to the Big Apple. But still the “city that never sleeps” had energized me. Each day, I walked miles just absorbing all that is there and all that has changed. I am pleased to report the changes that I witnessed have all been for the better. If only we could all be like New York, dynamic, evolving, vibrant. And better!

1 comment:

drea said...

Kevin what a great picture of you! This blog reads like a novel...love all of the descriptive language. Glad you enjoyed your trip.