Sunday, June 28, 2009

PASSING [IT] ON

I can still remember quite clearly the night I found out about Princess Diana’s death. I had just gotten home from work and I turned on the TV to hear the story. It was strange but I remember truly being stunned. I heard the headline, but I didn’t believe my own ears. I had to change channels and listen to the story once more before the reality settled in.

Further, I remember being quite saddened by this news. I sat down on my couch and thought, “How could this have happened to a princess?” It’s not difficult to understand why so many conspiracy stories arose about it being an assassination. People simply didn’t want to believe that something so tragic could occur in the life of royalty. Royals are so often put on pedestals where we consider them to be untouchable. After a while, I began to question the emotions I was feeling. While I had often seen Princess Diana’s photo on newsstands, I had never met her personally. I didn’t know her, but yet I was deeply moved by the news of her death.

Fast forward to present day, and the news of Michael Jackson’s death is echoing around the world in much the same way. Personally I received news of his death via text message, just minutes before the story broke online. I was quite skeptical of this report because years before I had learned of Whitney Houston death when in truth she had simply been hospitalized, and was very much still alive. Deep down, I hoped this was a similar report. An erroneous one, but alas it would later be confirmed as truth.

Today, while driving into the city, several radio stations were playing Michael Jackson songs in tribute. As I listened to “Smooth Criminal,” the depth of his talent struck me. Again, I found I was saddened even though it was the death of someone I had never met. It scares us to think that the people we hold as untouchable can die. And for them to die young is even scarier. Certainly, just like Princess Diana, Michael Jackson was seen as untouchable by the rest of the world. It didn’t matter how many lawsuits or bankruptcy stories circulated, M.J. would always be able to ride in limos and jet set about the world as all of the untouchables do. Even though we don’t have royalty in this country, the Kennedy family and the Jacksons are probably the closest thing to it. For decades, Michael wore the crown of the King of Pop!

As I mourn for Michael, I consider my own mortality, which has already been brought into question by a serious diagnosis. Probably, our biggest fear in this life is of death. The idea that there is nothing left outside of what we have on this planet is hard swallow. When you consider this fear, it is a strange one to have. It is a simple law of nature that has existed from the dawn of time. The law of impermanence. Everything that has a beginning has an end. Nothing that exists in a physical state can remain. Constantly, there is life, death and renewal. So, why do we fear what we know? Only because the truth of what happens after has become hidden from us. It is the fear of the unknown or perhaps the fear of the forgotten. In some strange way, the passing of those we love is a gift to remind us to explore what we have not learned or that which we have forgotten.

No comments: