Saturday, March 2, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY -- In Memoriam

Mom,  a month before her passing
BACK IN THE DAY...
It’s difficult to believe that 6 years have passed since my mother’s death, which was entirely unexpected. At the time, I couldn’t imagine how I would ever recover from such an intense loss, but here I am. Anyone who has lost a parent they were close to will understand the disconnect that occurs. For most of us, our earliest memories involve our mothers. The cars may change, the houses may change, families may grow or break up, but mom is, more often than not, one of the unique constants.

Had she lived, today would have been her 78th birthday. While this may sound old to many of you, she hailed from a family of longevity. My grandmother, who was every bit the stereotypical matriarch, lived to be a hundred. All of the women, including my aunts, remained quite active until their late eighties and even nineties. In fact, my mom’s oldest surviving sibling passed very recently at the ripe age of ninety-four. This is exactly the path I expected for my mom. [To know what a young seventy-two she was, see the photo above that was taken just two months before her passing.]

AND HERE WE ARE TODAY...
The most wonderful aspect that I have experienced since her passing is the ability to hear her voice, almost as if she is continuing to parent from the other side. While she was alive, if ever she learned I was pushing myself too hard, she would remind me to slow down. Even today, when I am spread too thin, I can hear her voice telling me to pace myself. As I grow older and wiser, I realize more and more what a great life teacher she was and how blessed I am to have had her in my life.

Today, on her birthday, I must say thank you for the foundation that taught me to be a decent person. I must say thank you for the love, nurturing and compassion. I must say thank you for the patience, guidance and understanding that only a mother could afford.

Happy Birthday, mom, you are sorely missed.

No comments: